Monday, September 7, 2009

"Darling, I don't know how to tell you this, but there's a Chinese family living in our bathroom."

I haven't been in the mood yet to watch Coraline.

The other night I went to the Bryn Mawr Film Institute to see (500) Days of Summer with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. A quirky romantic comedy that starts with an author's note:


"The following is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.


Especially you Jenny Beckman.


Bitch."


I thought it was super cute and everyone should definitely see it. Towards the end it started to drag just a little bit but then it pulled together to finish and was ultimately a very sweet movie.

The main topic was a little different than your typical romantic comedy, which I liked. It wasn't: boy meets girl, they fall in love, something happens to derail their romance but they eventually end up together. It was more like (spoiler alert): boy meets girl, girl doesn't believe in love but boys fall in love anyways, girl ends things and boy is devastated, girl starts dating someone else, sees what boys was talking about but just didn't feel with him and eventually gets married, boy is even more devastated but moves on and meets someone new.

I liked it because like most other romantic comedies it was not completely predictable. There was even a fun dance number, which is a plus in my book :o)

I also cheated on Netflix and rented 17 Again last night OnDemand. I have it in my queue, but it is apparently very popular because, despite it being on the top of my list since it was released, I have not received it.


It was definitely not an Oscar-worthy movie, but it was definitely funny. As my friend Jeanne says, "I think it's illegal for me to think Zac Efron is charming and cute" .... Hunter Parrish too :o)


I would go into a more detailed review, but I really can't out-do
Elizabeth Banks.

So I will simply say this...


I had some fundamental issues with some parts of it - like why Leslie Mann spent so much time alone with Zac Efron, regardless of the fact that he "looked just like her ex-husband," no mother should be alone that much with her high school-aged son's best friend, it's just weird. - and the ending left things with his kids unresolved, but overall, I thought it was a very entertaining movie.


Thank you for continuing with me on this journey through my Netflix queue and, as always, please feel free to comment below. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts...about my thoughts :o)


I hope everyone had a FABulous Labor Day Weekend!

xoxo

c


Movies in Queue: 223



No comments:

Post a Comment