Monday, December 28, 2009

"I will have poetry in my life. And adventure. And love. Love, above all....

...Not the artful, postures of love, but love that over-throws life. Unbiddable, ungovernable, like a riot in the heart and nothing to be done, come ruin or rapture. Love as there has never been in a play."
--------------------------------------------------

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!

Mine was good. Santa brought me Julie & Julia, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and The Proposal. I also got a couple Border's gift cards so that I can buy myself some more movies :o)

Over the past couple weeks, I have watched a lot of movies, some were bad and some very good.

Scotland, PA and How To Be were both so boring that I could not get past the first half hour of either of them. So, that is all I will say about that.

In my ongoing quest to see everything Bradley Cooper, I watched All About Steve, even though it got horrible reviews. I would not say it was the worst movie I have ever seen, but it was not good. Parts of it were funny and I did get through the whole thing, but it was just...stupid. There really is no other word for it. It makes me a little sad when good actors, like Cooper and Sandra Bullock, make crappy movies.

I also watched Duplicity, which was not horrible but was not very good either. It jumped around a lot and was one of those movies where you do not know who is deceiving whom until the very end. Julia Roberts was just nominated for a Screen Actors Guild award for this movie and I do not really understand why. Like I said, it was not a bad movie, but I think she has been better in other movies.

Inglourious Basterds is another movie I did not really enjoy. I mean, it was fine, it was not horrible, but I was just really unimpressed by the whole thing. And, I know it was Quentin Tarantino, but I really do not need to see people being scalped.

So those were the bad movies, now onto the good movies...

Last Monday, I finally saw Fantastic Mr. Fox and it was everything I hoped it would be. It was my favorite Roald Dahl book as a kid and I was so excited to see this movie before it even came out. The animation was awesome and the story was just as good as I remembered. George Clooney and Meryl Streep as Mr. and Mrs. Fox and Jason Schwartzman as their son Ash were great and I just thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. I highly recommend that everyone see this movie.

I also went to a screening of It's Complicated at the Bryn Mawr Film Institute on Monday and I thought that it was HILARIOUS. I laughed so hard I cried. Meryl Streep is amazing. To go from being Julia Child to Mrs. Fox to Jane, a woman divorced for 10 years having a secret affair with her ex-husband, all in one year...she is amazing. It did not get great reviews and it was a little long, but at no point was I not being entertained. And I got to stare at Hunter Parrish a lot, so that was a bonus!

And finally, Saturday night, I saw Sherlock Holmes with my brother, his fiancee and our friends. It was definitely entertaining and I enjoyed it, but it was not as amazing as I was hoping it would be. I also found it hard to understand Robert Downey Jr's British accent at times. However, the action sequences were fun and the relationship between Downey's Holmes and Jude Law's Dr. Watson made me laugh a lot, so overall, I will say I liked it.

Golden Globe and SAG Nominations have also come out in the past couple weeks (links are at the bottom). I usually try to see at least all of the Best Picture nominees, so I still need to see Up In The Air, Nine, The Hurt Locker, Avatar and An Education. I loved Precious and you already know how I feel about Inglourious Basterds. I also still really want to see The Messenger, Me and Orson Welles, Brothers, The Young Victoria, A Single Man and Invictus. Think I can do it before the end of the month? :o)

The empty TV schedule lately has clearly given me lots of free time to watch all these movies.

It has also made it a little easier to be single during the holidays. I have tried really hard to stay positive this season, but it is hard when you are surrounded by couples. I have been single for a very long time, but I do know that I can be very picky. What do you expect when you are constantly comparing prospects to Dr. Pomatter, Jack Bourdain or Noah Calhoun? And I realize that none of these characters are perfect men, but it definitely does not help the situation.

I watch too many movies and TV shows, I know this. I want my life to be a fairytale and it is most definitely not. So I will keep getting lost in these other worlds until it becomes one. Maybe I have set my standards and expectations too high. Maybe it is unrealistic. But why shouldn't I get everything I have ever dreamed of? I can wait.

Anyways....

I hope that everyone has enjoyed their 2009 and has an even more FABulous 2010! Happy New Year and Happy Movie Watching!

xoxo
c


Golden Globe Nominations:
http://www.goldenglobes.org/news/id/159

SAG Nominations:
http://www.sagawards.org/nominations
---------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment