Monday, January 9, 2012

"That's the problem with working, too much instability."

Thanks to my friends asking me to house-sit (and having better cable than me) and a free weekend of Showtime OnDemand, I have now caught up on several shows: Shameless, Homeland and Weeds. I also got a chance to watch the first episode of Kristen Bell's new series, House of Lies.

Along with Bell, House of Lies stars Don Cheadle, Ben Schwartz, Josh Lawson and Dawn Olivieri. It is a half hour comedy about a management consultant team from the second best firm in the country. Cheadle leads the series and his character will use any means to win over his clients and get them the information that they want. His crazy ex-wife works for the competition and his father is a former psychiatrist and helps take care of his cross-dressing son. It is smart and witty and I cannot wait to see where the rest of the show takes us. But mostly, I just love having Kristen Bell back on my television :o)

I was a little skeptical going into Homeland. I am not really sure why but, even though it was getting rave reviews, I just did not think I was going to like it. I was very, very wrong. The first season was a very smart, intense thriller about a CIA agent and the P.O.W. that she thinks has been turned into a terrorist after eight years in Iraqi captivity. The twist is that the rest of the country sees this man as a hero and the CIA agent has mental issues of her own. The show stars Claire Dances, Damian Lewis, Morena Baccarin, Mandy Patinkin, David Harewood, David Marciano, Diego Klattenhoff and Jamey Sheridan and they were all fantastic. Although, every time Mandy Patinkin's character, Saul, would come onscreen, I could not help but think, "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." This first season ended in a breathtaking way and I cannot even imagine what will happen in season two.

Originally based on a show from the United Kingdom, Shameless is hilarious. William H. Macy is great as, Frank, the alcoholic patriarch of the Gallagher family. The rest of the family consists of oldest sister and breadwinner Fiona and her five siblings Lip, Ian, Debbie, Carl and Liam. Other main characters include the families neighbors and best friends. Along with Macy, the show stars Emmy Rossum, Justin Chatwin, Steve Howey and Joan Cusack. Each of the kids, with the exception of the youngest two brothers, have multiple jobs and help pay all of the expenses. They also know about every way possible to scam anyone they can and often trade favors for food with other people in the neighborhood. The definitely find some creative and often comical ways to keep their family afloat. This show is definitely worth checking out if you have not already.

I have enjoyed Weeds from the beginning and I adore Mary Louise Parker and the rest of the cast. Each season finds this family in totally different, but somehow similar, predicaments. I usually do not see the seasons when they air but, instead, have to wait until they are out on DVD or streaming on Netflix., but it is always worth the wait. I love catching up with the Botwins and I cannot wait to see what kind of mess Nancy gets this into next season. I actually think the the Botwins and the Gallaghers together would be pretty awesome :o)

A few of the new shows that I plan to give a chance this winter are: Alcatraz, Touch, Common Law, Smash and GCB. I am also very much looking forward to the season premieres of Justified, Spartacus and White Collar.

What new shows are you planning to watch? Let me know if there is anything I am missing!

xoxo
c
--------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment