Thursday, August 11, 2011

"That's your fatherly advice? Personal ads?"

In the movie Beginners, Ewan McGregor plays a young man named Oliver whose father, played by Christopher Plummer, has just died from lung cancer and whose mother died when he was a child. It actually takes place at three different times: 1. when he is a child and his mother is still alive; 2. when he is an adult and his father has just been diagnosed with lung cancer and through his death; and 3. after his father's death when he meets a girl and falls in love. It goes back and forth between each period throughout the entire movie.

Going to see this was a very bad idea. Not because it was a bad movie, it was actually quite good, but because it reminded me too much of my father. He died from lung cancer last year. The lung cancer storyline caugh me off-guard and I seriously considered walking out of the theater, but decided to stick it out and am glad that I did. While parts of it were sad, it was excellent and at times very funny.

Oliver's parents were married for 44 years and six months after his mother died, his father came out to him. He was aware that his parents were unhappy but never realized that it was because his father was always gay and they both knew. It was interesting to see how Oliver's parents' relationship affected his own romantic relationships. In contrast, it was also interesting to then see how his father coming out and really falling in love for the first time made him re-examine his current relationship.

To be honest, though, my favorite scenes where when Oliver would talk to his dog, Arthur, as if he were a person. Because...well...I do that too :o)



The performances were extraordinary - I love Ewan McGregor and Christopher Plummer. Melanie Laurent, who plays Oliver's romantic interest, was also great. The only other thing I have seen her in was Inglorious Basterds, which I did not enjoy, so this was a nice change.

I really did like this movie, I just wish I had brought tissues with me.

xoxo
c
-------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment