Monday, August 22, 2011

"You're trying to control things that are not meant to be controlled."

I finally got around to seeing Rise of the Planet of the Apes and I have to say, I was pretty disappointed. I was not originally planning to see this movie, but it had gotten good reviews, so I figured I would give it a shot. I have to say, I was expecting it to be much better than it was.


The acting was fine, but the characters were incredibly one-dimensional. The writing was just pretty awful. As my one friend put it, "It's like they wrote it for Apes." I just felt that, in general, it was incredibly cheesy. I also did not find the special effects to be all that spectacular. The motion capture technology is impressive, but no more so than anything we have seen before.

I would not even say that there was any kind of warning against animal testing. In the movie, the problem was created because a researcher illegally took one of the test subjects home with him. If anything, that just tells us that if you follow the rules these kinds of things probably will not happen. It also showed us that the animal cruelty is not coming from these researchers. They actually cared more about the animals than anybody else.

in terms of the acting, James Franco just always looks and sounds like he is stoned. Tom Felton's acting was good, but his character was hateful and (spoiler alert) I was actually happy when he died. I also think Freida Pinto was there simply to have a female character because she really did not do very much. On the other hand, John Lithgow was excellent and Andy Serkis did a great job as Caesar, the main chimpanzee.

I could not find a clip from this movie that I liked anywhere online, so I decided to give you a clip from the original Planet of the Apes. It starred Charlton Heston and includes a line that is also used in this prequel:



I have had friends tell me that they enjoyed this movie, so maybe it was just not for me. It was not horrible, it was just not great. Mostly, I was just disappointed because I was hoping for something more interesting and, though this may sound funny, believable. Not that I think a "Planet of the Apes" could actually ever happen, but is it not the purpose of a movie to make me believe that it could happen?!

xoxo
c
---------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment