Thursday, December 1, 2011

"Guys, we can't kidnap Jack Black. That's illegal!"

There are actually no new movies in theaters this weekend, except for a few in limited release. Therefore, instead of my usual Weekend Movie Preview, I will give you my review of The Muppets, which I saw last weekend.

 
While I think that going to the Sunday Matinee was probably not the best idea, I really enjoyed The Muppets a lot.
 
Two brothers, Gary and Walter, are The Muppets biggest fans. When they take a vacation to Los Angeles and visit the Muppet Studios they are sad to learn that evil oil tycoon, Tex Richman, is planning to tear down the theater and drill for oil. They find Kermit and convince him to track down all the Muppets in order to host a telethon so they can raise the money they need to save their theater.
 
You cannot really critique the acting of The Muppets because they have been exactly the same since the beginning. However, in terms of the humans, Jason Segel and Amy Adams are perfect actors for a kids movie. They are both so good at playing the naively optimistic and endearingly sweet characters. I also enjoyed Chris Cooper as Tex Richman, although I could have done without him rapping :o)

Even though this is a kids movie and I think that kids will love it, many of the jokes are geared towards the adult crowd. There were mentions of Tab and New Coke and there was an '80s robot that used a dial-up modem to connect to the internet. I also enjoyed the '80s music, including the song used in the clip below. There are many other awesome references that are escaping me at this moment. I guess you will just have to see the movie in order to discover them yourself.

Of all the random cameos throughout the movie, these are my favorites: Emily Blunt playing her character from The Devil Wears Prada as Miss Piggy's receptionist at Vogue; Neil Patrick Harris answering the phones for the telethon and saying, "I'm not sure why I am not hosting;" Jack Black as Animal's anger-management sponsor and then being forced to host the telethon against his will; and Dave Grohl as the Moopets' drummer. I also really liked Jim Parsons character, but I will not give that one away :o)



If you have kids, or even if you just love the Muppets, then you should definitely see this movie. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it was just all around a good time.

xoxo
c
-------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment