Monday, June 13, 2011

"Do not speak of this. You don't know what is happening here."

I am not sure if it is because of all the hype leading up to Super 8, but I was a little underwhelmed. Do not get me wrong, it was good, I was just hoping to be completely blown away and I was not. J.J. Abrams kept so much of the storyline a secret and I actually think that made it worse because I was expecting some big surprise about what was going on in this town and it definitely did not happen like that at all.

I felt that the mystery was too drawn out for what the eventual reveal is finally. By the time they show you what is going on you have pretty much already figured it out for yourself. Of course, I got sick of Lost and gave up in the middle of the second season. I like to know up front what is going on and I get pretty bored when things get dragged out too far without being explained.

In terms of the cast, I have zero complaints there. Kyle Chandler is always dreamy, even when he is not playing Coach Taylor. Elle Fanning is officially less annoying than her sister Dakota. All the child actors, really, were quite impressive and entertaining. There was also a lot of great supporting cast, including David Gallagher who you may remember as Simon Camden from 7th Heaven :o)
 

If you enjoyed the Spielberg science fiction films of the past, then you will probably enjoy this. It has a nice nostalgic feel to it and definitely pays sufficient homage to films like E.T., Gremlins and The Goonies, to name a few. However, I would not count on it becoming quite as classic.

It was entertaining enough for a rainy Saturday afternoon, but not the best film I have seen this summer. To be honest, I actually enjoyed the film that the kids made more than the real movie. Make sure you sit through the end credits to see it!

xoxo
c
----------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer and I saw this movie last weekend. We were less than impressed. A combination of Goonies, Lost, and ET. In the end I just didn't really care about any of the characters and the creature was pretty blah and uninteresting.

    ReplyDelete