Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"If I drive for you, you'll get your money...

You tell me where we start, where we're going, where we're going afterwards, I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours no matter what. Anything a minute either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
-----------------------------------

We all know that I love Ryan Gosling, so I would have seen Drive regardless of the reviews, but this movie really was excellent.

Gosling's character has no name, but is simply referred to as 'Driver.' He is a movie stuntman by day and a criminal getaway driver by night. He becomes interested in his neighbor and when her husband come home from prison, he tries to help with a heist and it goes horribly wrong. A contract is put out on him and he now must protect himself and the woman he loves.

I thought that it was fantastic. The tone and style of the movie are totally different than any thing you have seen. Like Gosling's character, the plot is simple and to the point. There is not a lot of dialogue in many of the scenes because the Driver only speaks when he feels it is necessary. It was a little darker and more violent than I expected, but not in a bad way. There actually is not a lot of violence, but in the few violent scenes it is pretty intense.

In a cast with a lot of big names you sometimes get a few weak links, but that was not the case with this movie. Along with Gosling, Albert Brooks, Ron Perlman, Christina Hendricks, Bryan Cranston and Carey Mulligan were all fantastic. They each added something unique to the film and I cannot imagine anyone else in any of their roles.



If you are expected something like The Fast and the Furious, that is not what you are going to get. The driving scenes are not even particularly impressive. It is mostly Gosling's demeanor that makes this so interesting. It is not flashy or sexy but is thoughtful and creative.

Gosling does make me slightly biased, but that is because he makes good movies, Drive among them. See this movie if you know what is good for you :o)

xoxo
c
-----------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment