Monday, May 23, 2011

"Mermaid waters, that be our path"

If you could not already tell from the name of my blog, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is probably my favorite movie. I am not saying that it is the best movie I have ever seen, just that it is my favorite. No matter how many times they play it on the USA Network, I watch it every single time. I cannot help it, I love Captain Jack Sparrow. That being said, the second and third movies, while I will also watch them whenever they are on TV and find them quite enjoyable, were not nearly as good as the first one. 

This fourth movie was not as bad as the reviews have made it out to be, but not quite as good as the first. I found it very entertaining and if you enjoy the first three then I think you will like this one as well. The plot was definitely less complicated than in two and three. My only real complaint is that it was not quite as funny as the first three. 

Captain Jack was his normal hilarious self, but they got rid of most of the supporting characters who actually added a lot of the humor to the first three movies. They also took out a lot of the little inside jokes from the first three movies, like the dog with the key. According to the article in a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly, even the filmmakers thought that the second two movies were a little too complicated because of all the characters whose stories they felt they needed to tell. That, along with the fact that Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley did not come back for this installment, meant they could basically start over and introduce new characters. Instead of Will and Elizabeth, we had Philip and Syrena played by newcomers Sam Clafin and Astrid Berges-Frisbey. We also saw Ian McShane as the very evil Blackbeard, Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge, and his daughter played by Penelope Cruz.


I will say that this movie has had the best cameo of the summer, so far, but I will not tell you who it is. Only that it is part of the second half of the above scene. :o)

I also remind you to stay until the end of the credits for the final scene, as with the last three films. If I did not already know that a fifth script has been written, this scene would definitely suggest that another sequel is on the horizon.

xoxo
c
----------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment