Saturday, May 14, 2011

Guy: During the daytime people would want to hear songs that they know, just songs that they recognize.....

I play these song at night or I wouldn't make any money. People wouldn't listen.
Girl: I listen.
---------------------------------------------------

As part of my continuing quest to whittle down my Netflix queue, I have watched Once and Witness this week. I am hoping to be able to watch at least two movies each week, but we will see how that goes.

Once was a really cute movie. It is about a guy who lives at home and works in his father's vacuum cleaner repair shop during the day and plays his guitar on the street at night. One day, he meets a girl and they form a friendship based around their mutual love of music. The script is not anything spectacular but, it was a very sweet story. I also really liked that instead of using actors that could sing they used musicians and got them to act. It also had a more documentary feel to the cinematography. The director wanted it to look like something you made on your own over the weekend, which they definitely accomplished. If you are someone who enjoys different types of music, then I would definitely check out this movie. I am now officially a fan of Glen Hansard.

Witness comes from my list of Classic movies. As someone whose extended family lives in Amish country and has Pennsylvania Dutch in her bloodline, I am not really sure why it took me so long to get around to watching this movie. It is about a young Amish boy who witnesses a murder while in Philadelphia with his mother. When the detective on the case, played by Harrison Ford, discovers a police cover-up and realizes he and the boy are in danger he decides to hide out among the Amish. It was definitely an interesting movie, and I am sure at the time it was a look into a world that most people knew absolutely nothing about, but in general, I found the movie to be a little boring. I also thought that the love story was a little out of place and not very well fleshed out. I find it very hard to believe that an Amish woman would completely abandon her entire belief system like that, even for Han Solo. I think that it is a movie that everyone should see, especially if you are not familiar with Amish culture, but I would not say that it was one my favorite films.


There have also been a few awesome season finales on TV recently. Justified, Community and The Vampire Diaries to name a few. I am also very much looking forward to the finales for NCIS and The Good Wife. This is a bittersweet time of year for me because it means the end of the season for most of my shows, but they also tend to be the best episodes of the year. Luckily, there is more and more good summer television which is already starting to air.

As always, I love to hear from you, please let me know your thoughts below. And remember, you can also follow me on Facebook and twitter for daily updates.

xoxo
c
----------------------------------------- 

No comments:

Post a Comment