Monday, May 9, 2011

"The Hamptons are like a zombie movie directed by Ralph Lauren."

All things considered, I did like Something Borrowed. I read the book last year and while I do not remember every little detail, from what I can remember, the movie pretty much stayed in line with the plot of the book. And for those of you who have not read the book, I would say that it was what you would expect from a romantic comedy. Though, the friend with whom I saw the movie seemed to enjoy it more than I did. One reason may be that we just have different taste in movies, but I also wonder if the fact that she did not read the book made a difference. I knew exactly what was going to happen every step of the way, so I did not get as emotional as she did during certain scenes. 

In terms of the two main characters, as someone who has been a push-over most of her life, I definitely associate more with where Rachel is coming from, than I do with Darcy. However, I would never have slept with my best friend's fiancee and I am also not so much of a push-over that I would let my best friend date the guy I like without standing up for myself. That being said, even when I read the book, I always sided with Rachel because I felt like, although she was doing this horrible thing to the person she considered her best friend, she was also finally standing up for herself. People like Darcy are not really anybody's best friend. They do things only for themselves and never seem to do selfless things for others. Even if it is just a movie, sometimes it is cathartic to see these types of characters finally get what they deserve :o)

Ginnifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson, as Rachel and Darcy, were entertaining and seemed to fit the characters perfectly and Colin Egglesfield was very yummy as Dex, the third side of the love triangle. However, John Krasinski, and his facial expressions, were probably the funniest part of the movie. His character, Ethan, was also the one person pushing Rachel to stand up for herself for once and take what she wants instead of waiting for Darcy to let her have it.


The past few years, I have pretty much avoided seeing romantic comedies in the theater. When I only had to pay $5 for a Saturday matinee, it was not that bad, but now they tend to not be worth the ridiculous price of the ticket anymore. I would say that unless you have an uncontrollable desire to see a 30 foot high Colin Egglesfield (which, let's be honest, might actually make the price worth it) you can probably wait to see this movie when it comes out on DVD.

xoxo
c
-------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment